Monday, June 1, 2009

It's official. I'm a boobnazi.

I now believe so strongly in natural and attached parenting. I have become an advocate for natural family planning, natural birth, breastfeeding, cosleeping, baby wearing, not circ'ing, etc.

And honestly, I believe that at least half the people who "couldn't" breastfeed, really could have if they'd sought out or accepted support and been willing to stick with it even when it was hard. And I was there. I wanted to quit so badly at three weeks because it hurt. I screamed every time I nursed my newborn. I was a hormonal mess. I promised to give it another three weeks before I considered quitting, because I knew I didn't want to. And by six weeks? It was easy. It wasn't painful anymore. It wasn't awkward. It was normal and right.

I think that being able to provide the best possible nutrition to your newborn is your responsibility as a mom. There are so many resources available to help new nursing moms develop a positive breastfeeding relationship. There's an endless amount of support and help available on the internet, and there's your local La Leche League plus lactation consultants or the hospital you birthed at. Unfortunately, there's still a lot of bad advice out there - but if you're committed to it, you can do it.

I don't think people who didn't breastfeed are bad moms, but I don't understand justifying why you didn't breastfeed if you're so pro-formula.

No comments:

Post a Comment